Off Campus Applications
How to Access Off Campus
To login to Off Campus click the following URL:
Many thanks for the all feedback regarding the new setup. Any extra comments should be sent via email to OC-Feedback@ljmu.ac.uk.
Off Campus Changes for Windows 10
The default internet browser for your Windows 10 home device is the new Edge Browser and it cannot detect whether to use the light (HTML5) version of Citrix or open in the Citrix Receiver Application. To overcome this you will need to follow the instructions from Citrix found HERE - You need to tell your computer which version of the Receiver to default to.
Accessing Citrix with Chrome
Support for Citrix has changed with the latest version of Chrome as they have removed support for NPAPI, when you first login you should be ased if you want to use the light (HTML5) version or download the Citrix Receiver, once you have chosen your preference it will remember your settings (You can always change which version is used by defaulted by clicking your name and choosing 'Change Receiver' - see screenshot below.
Due to changes in Microsoft Licensing we are no longer covered to provide Microsoft Visio or Project for students via Off Campus Applications, staff are unaffected. When a student tries to access either Visio or Project within the Off Campus System they will see an error message like the screenshot below, ITS apologise for any inconvenience this will cause but is beyond our control. Students can still access Visio and Project from any of our desktop PC's or loan laptops.
We have now completed all the changes we need to make the changes live for our new system, the 3 main changes to be aware of:
- New URL - https://offcampusstore.ljmu.ac.uk/ is the new URL to access Off Campus and replaces the old URL.
- Citrix Receiver Application now replaces all previous Citrix Web Plugins and is available for Windows, Mac and is available in the App Stores of all of the major tablet Operating Systems such as iPhone and Android.
- HTML5 Support - You can now access Off Campus without the need to download an extra application which is very useful on devices which are locked down where you may not be able to install an application which makes Off Campus available on even more devices.
Once you are logged into the Off Campus Desktop it should look exactly as it was before, all the changes we have made are behind the scenes to give a more reliable services available on more devices than we have ever done before
We have made lots of Off Campus changes live over the summer of 2014 as part of our yearly client refresh. These updates brought the Off Campus service in line with the IT Services (ITS) Managed Client which was updated over the summer (All Public clients on campus have been updated, All new Staff clients are running our latest client and others will be updated on request). The updates include Microsoft Office 2013, Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and for the first time we have implemented new technology which will save your settings between all of our managed clients AND the Off Campus system. Settings saved include Email signature, mapped drives, recent documents in Office applications and lots more application customisations, We have also updated our most popular applications which are available through the AppPlayer such as SPSS
What is the Off Campus Service?
The Off Campus Applications Service allows off campus access to a wide range of applications on the LJMU network such as:
- Your M drive (Personal File Store) and staff shared network drives
- A range of Subject Software and Corporate Applications through the JMU App Player
- Outlook 2013 for access to your LJMU e-mail account
- Office 2013 (except Visio and Project which we are not licensed to run in Off Campus)
- FollowYou printing - print from Off Campus and collect your printouts from any of the 100's of brand new Xerox printers around the University.
To access the Off Campus Applications Service you need:
- A PC or Mac connected to the internet with a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox or mobile device which has the Citrix Receiver App available in the App Store.
- A piece of software called the Citrix Receiver– if this is not already installed you are prompted to download and install a suitable version the first time you access the service (from a computer, if accessing from a mobile device you will need to download the app first)
- If you have not used the service before, we recommend that you use Internet Explorer if you are on a PC, as it is then very straightforward to download and install the correct version of Citrix
Accessing the Off Campus Applications Service
- Whether or not you have used the service before you should go to the following URL which takes you to the Citrix Access Gateway
- Alternatively click the link Login to Off Campus Applications on the left hand menu
- This will take you to the login screen Login here using your normal LJMU username and password.
Add the link to the login screen to your Favourites if you use the Off Campus service regularly
If you need more detailed instructions on how to access the Off Campus Service click the link on the left menu 'Installing Off Campus Applications'
The Off Campus Desktop has now had its Start Menu changed to bring it in line with the ITS Windows 7 Managed Desktops which uses the JMU AppPlayer application to launch installed applications.
Although Off Campus uses the same program, only a small subset of the applications are currently available through Off Campus, if you are familiar with using and finding applications with the AppPlayer on one of our Managed PC's, the same functionality and experience is also available via off campus.
If you would like more help on using the AppPlayer please refer to the help page relating to it - https://www2.ljmu.ac.uk/ITHelp/software/122874.htm
JMU App Player Favourites on Off Campus are specific to this platform as are favourites on the ITS Managed Windows 7 clients. Therefore favourites do not roam between the two separate groups of systems.
You can launch the AppPlayer from the desktop, taskbar or Start Menu by looking for the AppPlayer logo: